SAN ANTONIO — UTSA held off a late charge by Louisiana-Lafayette in singles play and the Roadrunners picked up a 4-3 home victory on Monday.
UTSA (10-8) held a 3-1 lead before the Ragin' Cajuns (10-10) earned wins at Nos. 4 and 6 singles to tie the match.
Joel Rubio then outlasted Jake Wynan at the third position (6-3, 3-6, 7-5) to clinch the contest and give the Roadrunners their second consecutive win and third in their last four outings.
The victory also allowed UTSA to even the season series with Louisiana-Lafayette. The Ragin' Cajuns posted a 4-1 win over the Roadrunners in the third-place match of the 47th Annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions on March 2 in Corpus Christi.
UTSA started the contest with two of three wins in doubles competition to claim the opening point.
Louisiana-Lafayette pulled even after Edgar Lopez topped Diogo Casa at second singles.
However, the Birds responded with back-to-back straight-set wins by David Kelleher and Martin Ayala to open a two-point advantage.
UTSA will travel to No. 69 Rice (8-11) for a 1 p.m. match on Wednesday.
UTSA 4, Louisiana-Lafayette 3
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. de Groot/Wynan (ULL) 8-3
2. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) def. Lopez/Wynan (ULL) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Johnson/Johnson (ULL) def. Kilgo/Kelleher (UTSA) 8-3
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Rick de Groot (ULL) 6-4, 6-1
2. Edgar Lopez (ULL) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 6-0, 6-3
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Jake Wynan (ULL) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
4. Damian Farinola (ULL) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Hunter Johnson (ULL) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jarred Wynan (ULL) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4