SAN ANTONIO — No. 46 UTSA will open play at the Western Athletic Conference Championship, which will be played at Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Ariz., this week in search of its third consecutive conference crown.
The Roadrunners, who claimed Southland Conference titles in 2011 and 2012, have recorded a pair of top-five finishes this season against the 33rd-toughest schedule in the country.
UTSA’s final regular season rankings of No. 45 by Golfweek and No. 46 by golfstat.com are the highest in the program’s history.
The championship features three teams ranked in the top 50 and the trio will look to unseat four-time defending champion San Jose State for this year’s automatic berth to an NCAA Regional.
Where: Longbow Golf Club (par 72/6,163 yards) — Mesa, Ariz.
When: Monday, April 22 — Wednesday, April 24
Teams: #29 Denver, Idaho, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Seattle, #38 Texas State, #46 UTSA.
Live Stats: golfstat.com
Fabiola Arriaga (Jr. - Torreon, Mexico)
· Recorded four top-10 finishes this season
· Leads the team with a 74.72 stroke average
· Shot a career-low best of 68 in the second round of the Golfweek Conference Challenge (Sept. 24-26)
· 2012 Southland Conference Player of the Year
· Two-time first-team All-Southland Conference selection
· Set a program record with a 74.91 stroke average last season
Allie Johnston (Fr. - Castle Rock, Colo.)
· Owns an 80.44 stroke average for the season
· Shot a 237 at the Golfweek Conference Challenge and Mercedes-Benz Intercollegiate
· Has shot a low round of 76 three times, most recently at the Texas A&M/UTSA Shootout
· Rated by Golfweek as the No. 29 recruit in the 2012 class
· Won the 2012 Colorado Women's Golf Association Match Play Championship last summer
Taylor Newlin (Jr. - Frisco, Texas)
· Third on the team with a 76.16 stroke average
· Shot a season-low 216 (72-78-71) at The Alamo Invitational (Oct. 28-30)
· 2011 and 2012 second-team All-Southland Conference
· Her career 76.47 stroke average ranks third in program history
· Has played in all 31 tournaments in the last three seasons
Brogan Townend (Fr. - Blackburn, England)
· Owns a 77.59 stroke average
· Shot a season-best 220, which included a round of 68, at The Alamo Invitational (Oct. 28-30)
· Tied for 18th at the Seminole Match-Up (Feb. 15-17) for her best finish of the season
· A member of the English National Team
· Two-time runner-up at the Northern Women's Championship
· 2011 Faldo Series Girls Champion
Paola Valerio (Sr. - Mexico City, Mexico)
· Second on the team with a 76.08 stroke average
· Tied for 22nd at The Alamo Invitational (Oct. 28-30), where she carded rounds of 71-73-74 for a season-low 218
· Three-time All-Southland Conference honoree (2010-11 first-team/2012 second-team)
· 2011 Southland Conference Player of the Year
· Ranks second in program history with a 76.09 career scoring average
· Has played in a team-high 36 tournaments during her career