Get to know the Florida Atlantic Owls
Loction: Boca Raton, Fla.
President: Mary Jane Saunders
Athletics Director: Pat Chun
Football Facility: FAU Stadium (30,000)
Basketball Facility: FAU Arena (5,000)
Media Market: No. 38 West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce (794,310 TV households)
Sponsored Sports: 19
Men (8) — baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis
Women (11) — basketball, cross country, golf, sand volleyball, soccer, softball, swimming & diving, tennis, indoor and outdoor track & field, volleyball
· Florida Atlantic is serving a record-high student body of 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students at sites throughout its six-county service region in Southeast Florida. Ten distinguished colleges offer more than 175 degree programs in fields that span the arts and humanities, the sciences, medicine, nursing, accounting, business, education, public administration, social work, architecture, engineering, computer science, and more. Academically accomplished students take advantage of honors programs offered on the Boca Raton and Jupiter campuses.
· A 30,000-seat football stadium opened on the Boca Raton campus in October 2011. The Florida Department of Tourism estimates a game day local economic impact of $1.7 million.
· The College of Business, which houses more than 8,600 students, features the Adams Center for Entrepreneurship, which prepares students in business, science, engineering and other disciplines to become entrepreneurs through business ownership or venturing. The Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine opened in Fall 2011 and it has established relationships with several prominent area hospitals that are serving as sites for clerkships, hospital-based electives and residencies.
· With 44 percent of its student body classified as minority or international students, Florida Atlanic ranks as the most racially, ethnically and culturally diverse institution in Florida’s State University System.
· Florida Atlantic students come from all 50 states, every county in Florida and more than 180 countries. Enrichment opportunities include internships, hands-on research, study abroad experiences, and 310 clubs and campus organizations.
· Florida Atlantic is taking its place among the world’s great research centers and has been given the designation of a “High Research Activity” university by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. FAU faculty members won funding grants totaling more than $48 million in 2011-12.
· Florida Atlantic is home to the Southeast National Marine Renewable Energy Center, a federally funded research facility that is developing technology to generate energy by harnessing the power of Florida’s ocean currents.
· Ana M. Azcuy — First Hispanic anchor in South Florida and three-time Emmy winner
· Jeff Beliveau — Major League Baseball pitcher for the Chicago Cubs
· Chris Carrabba — Singer-songwriter for Dashboard Confessional
· Mark Dean — Vice President of Technical Strategy & Worldwide Operations, IBM Research
· Rob Housler — National Football League tight end for the Arizona Cardinals
· Lestar Jean — National Football League wide receiver for the Houston Texans
· Steve LeBrun — Professional Golfers Association TOUR member
· Patricia McKay — Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, Office Depot
· Alfred Morris — National Football League All-Pro running back for the Washington Redskins
· Mickey Storey — Major League Baseball pitcher for the Houston Astros and Toronto Blue Jays
· Steven Swanson — NASA astronaut