Shop Now
Uploaded Ad
Article Image
Courtesy: Jeff Huehn/UTSA Athletics

UTSA outlasts Houston Baptist in double overtime on Friday night, 1-0

Courtesy: UTSA Athletics
Release: 08/24/2014
Courtesy UTSA Athletics
Print RSS

SAN ANTONIO — Kaytee O’Brien’s goal in the 103rd minute pushed UTSA to a 1-0 victory against Houston Baptist in double overtime in the season opener for both squads on Friday at Park West Athletics Complex.

O’Brien, who scored a pair of goals in the Roadrunners' exhibition win against Incarnate Word last Sunday, helped UTSA (1-0) improve to 3-6 in season openers and 3-1 against the Huskies (0-1) all time.

Goalie Katherine Tesno picked up her first career shutout, while UTSA earned its sixth consecutive whitewashing at home dating back to the 2013 season.

After 90 scoreless minutes, the match went to overtime where Houston Baptist was the aggressor early on. The Huskies outshot the Roadrunners 5-1 in the first extra session, which ended with no score.

In the second overtime, O’Brien and the Roadrunners wasted no time in securing their first overtime victory since a 1-0 triumph over Southeastern Louisiana on Nov. 3, 2011, in the Southland Conference tournament.

After a high shot from Kauwela Neal early in the period, UTSA kept control of the ball and it was Neal who deflected a header past the Huskies defense. O’Brien controlled the pass and slipped behind the back line for a one-on-one opportunity with Houston Baptist goalie Patty Walrath.

O’Brien fired off a shot that sailed over Walrath’s head, bounced off the bottom of the cross bar and in the back of the net for the game-winner and her first goal at UTSA.

Neither team was able to score in a back-and-forth opening half. UTSA was able to notch six shots, but it was Houston Baptist who had the match’s best scoring chance in the period.

In the 16th minute, Rebekah Tovar sent a header off a corner kick toward the Roadrunners goal. Tesno preserved the clean sheet by deflecting the ball off the cross bar. UTSA tallied five shots in the final seven minutes, but was unable to find the back of the net.

The second half was much the same, as the teams each recorded five shots in a scoreless 45 minutes.

The Roadrunners will be back in action at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, when they head to Huntsville for a matchup with Sam Houston State (0-1).

Soccer News
Soccer Meet & Greet
UTSA Athletics holiday message
McNeese State post-match comments