UTSA to host The Alamo Invitational
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA will host The Alamo Invitational on this week at Briggs Ranch Golf Club (par 72/6,428 yards). The three-day tournament will tee off on Sunday morning.
The Roadrunners will compete against one of the top fields of the collegiate fall season, including No. 5 Oklahoma, No. 7 Arkansas, No. 17 Florida, No. 18 Tulane, No. 25 LSU, Baylor, Florida State, Louisville, SMU, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas State.
Now in its fifth year, the 54-hole tournament will get underway with tee times off Nos. 1 and 10 beginning at 11 a.m. Sunday and at 8:30 a.m. on Monday. The final round is slated for an 8:45 a.m. shotgun start on Tuesday.
Oklahoma is the defending champion after winning the 2012 event with a tournament-record 16-under-par 848 (279-284-285). Last year’s individual champion, Maribel Lopez Porras of Tulane (-7/68-72-69—209) graduated, but the 2011 medalist, current UTSA senior Fabiola Arriaga (-3/69-72-72—213) is in the field. The Torreon, Mexico, native helped the Roadrunners claim the 2011 team crown with a 12-over 866. The Birds tied for third at last year’s tournament with an 863 (290-283-290) behind Arriaga’s 10th-place effort (72-69-73—214).
UTSA is coming off an 11th-place showing at the Betsy Rawls Longhorns Invitational on Oct. 13-15 in Austin. Arriaga led the way with a six-over 222 (70-76-76) to tie for 39th place.
What: The Alamo Invitational
When: Sunday, Oct. 27 — Tuesday, Oct. 29
Where: Briggs Ranch Golf Club (par 72/6,428 yards) • San Antonio, Texas
Tournament Field: #7 Arkansas, Baylor, #17 Florida, Florida State, Louisville, #25 LSU, #5 Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, #18 Tulane, UTSA
Format: 54 holes, 18 holes each day
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
2012 Team Champion: Oklahoma (-16)
2012 Individual Champion: Maribel Lopez Porras, Tulane (-7)
Fabiola Arriaga, Sr. (Torreon, Mexico)
· Leads UTSA with a 74.38 stroke average
· Stands 33rd in the NCAA in pars per round (12.5)
· 2011 The Alamo Invitational individual champion (69-72-72—213)
· Tied for 10th at last year’s The Alamo Invitational with a 72-69-73—214
Chelsea Bretcher, Sr. (Austin, Texas)
· Ranks fourth on the team with a 78.33 stroke average
· Registered a final-round 70 and tied for 48th (224) at the Betsy Rawls Longhorns Invitational
· Tied for 39th at the 2012 The Alamo Invitational with a 224 (76-76-72)
Taylor Newlin, Sr. (Frisco, Texas)
· Ranks third on the team with a 76.63 stroke average
· Tied for 39th with a 74-75—149 at the Mercedes-Benz Intercollegiate
· Tied for 15th at the 2012 The Alamo Invitational with a 72-73-71—216
Aimee Ponte, Fr. (Guernsey, U.K.)
· Ranks 11th in the NCAA in fairways hit (.894)
· Tied for 47th (78-80-79—237) in her collegiate debut at The “Mo”Morial
· Three-time Islands Championships champion (2011-13)
Brogan Townend, So. (Blackburn, England)
· Ranks second on the squad with a 74.75 stroke average
· Tied for 17th with a 78-73-72—223 at The “Mo”Morial
· Fired a 68 en route to a tie for 28th (220) at last year’s The Alamo Invitational
Libby Thomas, Fr. (Midland, Texas) ^
· Recorded a 75-80—155 in her collegiate debut at the Mercedes-Benz Intercollegiate
· Posted seven top 10s on the American Junior Golf Association circuit
· Texas Junior Golf Tour’s All-Tour Team selection
^ competing as an individual