Roadrunners volleyball signs three to National Letters of Intent
SAN ANTONIO — Head volleyball coach Laura Neugebauer-Groff announced Monday that Jordan Kotara (Poth, Texas/Poth HS), Annie Kunes (Fontana, Wis./Big Foot HS) and Kylie Schott (Cypress, Texas/Cy-Fair HS) have signed National Letters of Intent and will join the Roadrunners for the 2012 season.
"I'm looking forward to having these three players join our team," Neugebauer-Groff said. "All three bring a lot of experience to our club and are very talented players."
Kotara, a 6-foot-1 front-row player, will join the Roadrunners after a successful run at Poth High School, which won two Class 2A Texas State Championships, including the 2011 crown. She was honored as the Most Valuable Player of the state tournament and recorded a triple-double of 15 kills, 11 total blocks and 10 digs in the semifinal round. She is a two-time 2A all-state honoree who posted 283 kills and 79 total blocks in her senior campaign.
"Jordan is the most versatile player in the class," Neugebauer-Groff said. "She can play middle, outside and back row. She comes from a very successful high school program and has the ability to make an immediate impact."
Kunes, a 5-foot-6 defensive specialist, led Big Foot High School to the 2011 Wisconsin Division 2 State Tournament. She was highly regarded for her play in the postseason and garnered Wisconsin Volleyball Coaches Association/WisSports.net All-State Tournament Second Team and Division 2 First Team honors. She was named the Rock Valley South MVP after her senior season after posting 313 kills, 47 total blocks and 357 digs as an outside hitter.
"Annie is going to bring in vocal leadership and outstanding ball-handling skills," Neugebauer-Groff said. "We're losing an outstanding libero in Kelsey Jewasko and Annie is going to help us fill that void."
Schott, a 6-foot-1 middle hitter, was a three-year starter at Cy-Fair High School. She was named team captain of a Bobcats squad that posted a 34-12 record and advanced to the 2011 Class 5A Area Playoffs. She registered 460 kills, 31 service aces and 97 total blocks during her senior season, which included a .332 hitting percentage in District 15-5A action.
In addition to Schott's success on the court, she is a member of the National Honor Society and was a two-time academic all-district honoree.
"Kylie is a dynamic hitter and brings a big strong block," Neugebauer-Groff said. "She had a great high school and club career and is another talented player that we've added to our team. She is a very powerful hitter and can be a great blocker for our club."
UTSA, which posted a 22-11 record this fall, advanced to the Southland Conference Tournament Championship Match for the second consecutive season. Five Roadrunners were named All-Southland, including redshirt junior Setter of the Year Kelsey Schwirtlich and sophomore Newcomer of the Year McKenzie Adams.
Jordan Kotara · 6-1 · MH/OH
Poth, Texas (Poth HS)
· Led Poth High School to 44-9 record and the 2011 Class 2A State Championship
· Named Most Valuable Player of State Tournament
· Recorded a triple-double of 15 kills, 11 total blocks and 10 digs in state semifinals
· 2011 stats: 283 kills, 79 total blocks
· 2010 Texas Girls Coaches Association all-state
· 2010 Texas Sports Writers Association (TXSWA) honorable mention all-state
· 2010 LoneStarVolleyball.com All-Texas Special Recognition
· 2009 TXSWA second-team all-state
· Helped lead team to 2009 Class 2A State Championship
· Plays for Bexar County club team
Annie Kunes · 5-6 · DS
Fontana, Wis. (Big Foot HS)
· Guided Big Foot High School to the 2011 Wisconsin Division 2 State Tournament
· Named 2011 Rock Valley South Most Valuable Player
· 2011 Wisconsin Volleyball Coaches Association (WVCA) second-team all-state
· 2011 WVCA/WisSports.net All-State Tournament Second Team
· 2011 WVCA/WisSports.net Division 2 All-State Tournament First Team
· 2011 stats: 313 kills, 48 assists, 42 service aces, 47 total blocks, 357 digs
· 2010 first-team All-Rock Valley South
· Helped team to conference championship in final three seasons
· Plays for Club Fusion
Kylie Schott · 6-1 · MH
Cypress, Texas (Cy-Fair HS)
· Led Cy-Fair High School to 34-12 record and berth in the 2011 Class 5A Area Playoffs
· Team captain
· 2011 stats: 460 kills, 31 service aces, 97 total blocks
· Helped team to 2010 Class 5A Region III semifinals
· 2010 first-team All-District 15-5A
· 2010 Kingwood Tournament Most Valuable Player
· 2009 All-District 15-5A Honorable Mention
· Plays for Skyline 18 RoShamBo club team