Courtesy: UTSA Athletics Communications
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA head volleyball coach Laura Neugebauer-Groff announced Wednesday that Dempsey Thornton (Corpus Christi, Texas/King HS) and Carly Wishlow (Calgary, Alberta/Aberhart HS) have signed National Letters of Intent and will join the Roadrunners for the 2011 season.
"I'm really excited about what both of these players can offer our program," Neugebauer-Groff said. "Both add a dimension to our team we haven't had in awhile."
Thornton, a 6-foot-1 front-row player, was named to the PrepVolleyball.com All-America team after leading Corpus Christi King High School to a No. 8 national ranking in the final ESPN RISE Fab 50 poll. She garnered first-team all-state honors and was selected to the UIL Class 5A All-Tournament Team. She was also honored as the Corpus Christi Caller-Times' All-South Texas Most Valuable Player after recording 629 kills, 220 digs and 76 total blocks while leading the Mustangs to a No. 1 ranking in the Texas AP poll.
In addition to Thornton's success on the court, she ranks fifth out of 517 students in her class at King HS and was named the 2010 Caller-Times/Citgo South Texas Distinguished Scholar for the student-athlete category.
"Dempsey brings a lot of confidence to our squad," Neugebauer-Groff said. "She played at such a high level in both high school and club. What she did this last year in both basketball and volleyball was amazing. She brings in this level of confidence that we really like and can step right in with what we return on the court."
Wishlow, a 6-foot-2 middle/right-side hitter, was a three-year starter
at William Aberhart High School. She led the team to the Senior City
Championship and provincial silver medal in 2009 and was named the
Senior Rookie of the Year. She garnered tournament MVP honors in 2008 as
the team earned the junior city silver medal.
In addition to her high school awards, Wishlow was a starter for Team
Alberta in 2009 and helped the club to the gold medal in the Western
Canada Challenge Cup. In 2010, she helped Team Canada Southern Alberta
to the silver medal at the National Canadian Challenge Cup. Wishlow has
been a four-year member of the Dino Women's Volleyball Club and helped
the team to the U17 Provincial Championship in 2010. This summer, she
will play for the Canada First Junior Team in a tournament in Tucson,
"Carly brings some size to our team," Neugebauer-Groff said. "She brings
a lot of strength to the middle hitter position. She comes in as one of
the more fine-tuned middle hitters we've had here."
UTSA, which posted a 22-12 record in 2010, won the Southland Conference Tournament and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in the program's history. Three Roadrunners were named first-team All-Southland, including junior Kelsey Jewasko who was honored as the league's Libero of the Year for the second time in her career.
Dempsey Thornton [6-1, OH/MH/RS, Corpus Christi, Texas (King HS)]
· PrepVolleyball.com All-American
· First-team all-state (Class 5A)
· 5A UIL State All-Tournament Team
· Led King HS to No. 8 national ranking by ESPN RISE (No. 1 in state of Texas)
· 2010 Corpus Christi Caller-Times All-South Texas Most Valuable Player
· 2010 Caller-Times/Citgo South Texas Distinguished Scholar
· 2010 stats: 629 kills, 220 digs and 76 total blocks
· Played for Corpus Christi Wave club team
Carly Wishlow [6-2, MH/RS, Calgary, Alberta (Aberhart HS)]
· 2009 Senior Rookie of the Year
· 2008 Junior City Tournament Most Valuable Player
· Led team to 2009 senior city championship and provincial silver medal
· Helped team to 2008 junior city silver medal
· Guided Team Alberta to gold medal at 2009 Western Canada Challenge Cup
· Helped Team Canada Southern Alberta to silver medal at 2010 National Canadian Challenge Cup
· Will play on Canada First Junior Team this summer
· Competed for Dino Women's Volleyball club team