Middle Tennessee stops Roadrunners in second round of Conference USA Tournament, 4-2
NORFOLK, Va. — No. 9 seed Middle Tennessee got past eighth-seeded UTSA in Thursday's second-round of the Conference USA Tournament, 4-2.
The Blue Raiders (12-9) captured the opening doubles point with victories on the top two courts.
After Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonnson cruised to an 8-2 win against Flavia Nagayama and Sarah Sediri at the No. 3 position, Irina Constantinide and Jesse Grace got past Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova at the No. 2 spot, 8-5. Nayara Morales and Tiffany William then clinched the tally for Middle Tennessee following their 8-6 victory at the top of the lineup against Jacobea Junger and Miriam Rossell Canudas.
The lead swelled to 2-0 after Nagayama's straight sets triumph (6-2, 6-1) against Hallgren on the fifth singles court, but Jonsson sliced the deficit in half with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Morales at the No. 3 position.
The advantage went back to two when William downed Junger at the top spot of the lineup, 7-5, 6-2, but Rosell Canudas followed with her 13th victory in her last 14 matches with a 6-4, 6-3 win against Grace at No. 2. The freshman from Barcelona, Spain, improved to a team-best 18-4 on the season.
The Blue Raiders clinched the contest with victories at the Nos. 2 and 4 spots to end the Roadrunners' campaign at 11-11.
2014 Conference USA Tournament
Middle Tennessee 4, UTSA 2
1. Morales/William (MTSU) def. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) 8-6
2. Constantinide/Grace (MTSU) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-5
3. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) def. Nagayama/Sediri (MTSU) 8-2
1. Tiffany William (MTSU) def. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) 7-5, 6-2
2. Miriam Canudas (UTSA) def. Jesse Grace (MTSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Nayara Morales (MTSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Irina Constantinide (MTSU) def. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
5. Flavia Nagayama (MTSU) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) vs. Sarah Sediri (MTSU) 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,1,2,4)