UTSA rolls past I-35 rival Texas State for fourth consecutive victory
SAN ANTONIO — Playing in its first match since March 16, UTSA rallied from an early deficit and the Roadrunners handed I-35 rival Texas State a 5-2 setback on Monday for their fourth consecutive victory. It marked the Roadrunners' first win against the Bobcats since April 10, 2009, and first at home since March 7, 2006.
After Shannon Beckett and Monica Pieratt opened the match by defeating Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova on the second doubles court, 8-6, Jacobea Juger and Miriam Rosell Canudas improved to 11-1 with their 10 consecutive triumph at the top spot in an 8-7 (7-3) decision against Ana Laura Gutierrez and Jessica Kahts. The opening point came down to the No. 3 position in the lineup and Katy Collins and Eva Dench fought off a pair of match points against Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonsson en route to a come-from-behind 8-7 (7-4) victory.
However, UTSA (9-7) rallied in singles play by winning five of the six contests.
Rosell Canudas breezed to her eighth straight triumph at the No. 2 position with a 6-0, 6-0 whitewashing of Pieratt to improve to a team-leading 13-3 this spring and Jonsson followed with a 6-1, 6-1 win against Gutierrez on the third court. Junger then gave the Roadrunners a commandng 3-1 lead after handing Kahts a 6-3, 6-4 setback at the top spot for her fifth straight victory.
The Bobcats (8-7) got back on the board when Beckett downed Hallgren in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 5 slot.
Dench then took Nicole Karaklis to a decisive third set after being on the brink of defeat in the second stanza, but Karaklis held on for a 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1 triumph on the fourth court to clinch the match for the Birds.
Irene Gandara Gonzalez finished off the three-point victory with a comeback 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 win at the No. 6 position against Collins.
UTSA will play their final home match of the spring on Thursday afternoon against Lamar (4-9). First serve is slated for 12 p.m. and Jonsson will be honored prior to the match as part of Senior Day.
UTSA 5, Texas State 2
1. Junger/Rosell-Canudas (UTSA) def. Gutierrez/Kahts (TXST) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Beckett/Pieratt (TXST) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-6
3. Collins/Dench (TXST) def. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 8-7 (7-4)
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Jessica Kahts (TXST) 6-3, 6-4
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Monica Pieratt (TXST) 6-0, 6-0
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Ana Laura Gutierrez (TXST) 6-1, 6-1
4. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) def. Eva Dench (TXST) 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1
5. Shannon Beckett (TXST) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 6-1, 6-3
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Katy Collins (TXST) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,1,5,4,6)