No. 34 Rice sweeps Roadrunners on Thursday afternoon
SAN ANTONIO — No. 34 Rice swept UTSA on Thursday at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (4-4) fell behind early after dropping doubles point. The Birds were unable to recover in singles play, as the Owls (7-4) won all six matchups in straight sets.
Isabelle Jonsson and Irene Gandara Gonzalez each lost only their second singles match of the spring at the Nos. 2 and 6 positions, respectively.
Jonsson was topped by Dominique Harmath, the nation's No. 80th-ranked singles player, by scores of 6-1 and 6-1, while Gandara Gonzalez came up short against Stephanie Nguyen, 6-0, 6-3.
UTSA will host 75th-ranked Louisiana-Monroe (4-0) at 11 a.m. on Friday.
#34 Rice 7, UTSA 0
1. Beazant/Harmath (RU) def. Jonsson/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-4
2. Junger/Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) vs. Zimmermann/Nguyen (RU) 3-6, unfinished
3. Trigo/Zinko (RU) def. Hand/Menon (UTSA) 8-3
1. #71 Natalie Beazant (RU) def. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) 6-0, 6-1
2. #80 Dominique Harmath (RU) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-1, 6-1
3. Liat Zimmermann (RU) def. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) 6-3, 6-1
4. Kimberly Anicete (RU) def. Daniela Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Solomiya Zinko (RU) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Stephanie Nguyen (RU) def. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) 6-0, 6-3