Lamar hands Roadrunners 4-3 setback on Saturday
SAN ANTONIO — Lamar used strong singles play to knock off UTSA, 4-3, on Saturday.
The Roadrunners (8-12, 3-7 SLC) took an early lead after winning the doubles session, including a comeback victory for senior Micaela Silva and junior Vivian Carrillo at the No. 2 position.
However, UTSA was unable to carry the momentum into singles play, as it dropped four of six matches in straight sets.
After the Lady Cardinals (12-8, 7-3 SLC) clinched the match, senior Stefanie Peana and sophomore Isabelle Jonsson each took three-set victories at the number one and two spots, respectively.
Jonsson won her fourth consecutive match to improve her singles record to a team-best 13-7 for the year.
The Roarunners close out their regular season on Sunday against McNeese State. First serve is scheduled for 11 a.m..
Lamar 4, UTSA 3
1. Peana/Jonsson (UTSA) def. Salas/Porte (Lamar) 8-4
2. Silva/Carrillo (UTSA) def. Mayagoitia/Pennesi (Lamar) 8-5
3. Czudek/Maso (Lamar) def. Menon/Hand (UTSA) 8-4
1. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) def. Carolina Salas (Lamar) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Alicia Porte (Lamar) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Carolina Maso (Lamar) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
4. Natalia Mayagoitia (Lamar) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alessandra Pennesi (Lamar) def. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Helene Czudek (Lamar) def. Natalie Hand (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2