SAN ANTONIO — Junior Kavya Menon dropped the opening frame to Diana Pirciu but rallied to win the next two for the match-clincher and UTSA knocked off McNeese State, 4-2, in its regular season finale on Sunday. The win also clinched a berth in the Southland Conference Tournament.
The Roadrunners (9-12, 4-7 SLC) won four of the six singles contests to claim the victory, as UTSA earned triumphs at Nos. 1, 2, 4 and 6 on the day.
Senior Stefanie Peana trailed in her match before winning both the second and third panels, 6-4, at the top spot.
Meanwhile, sophomore Isabelle Jonsson and freshman Irene Gandara Gonzalez earned straight-set victories at the second and fifth positions, respectively. Jonsson won her fifth consecutive singles match and improved to a team-leading 14-7 this spring.
The Cowgirls (3-16, 1-10 SLC) managed to pick up points at the Nos. 3 and 6 spots.
The doubles session was not played.
The three-day Southland Tournament begins on Thursday, April 26, in Nacogdoches.
UTSA 4, McNeese State 2
1. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) def. Tea Tvrtkovic (MCN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Lara Pujol (MCN) 6-1, 6-4
3. Anastasia Surkova (MCN) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kavya Menon (UTSA) def. Diana Pirciu (MCN) 1-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Marcella Castaldi (MCN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Andreea Nenu (MCN) def. Natalie Hand (UTSA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3