Sam Houston State rallies for 4-3 victory against UTSA
HUNTSVILLE — UTSA held a 3-2 lead, but Sam Houston State rallied to win the final two singles matches and the Bearkats knocked off the Roadrunners, 4-3, on Friday afternoon at the McAdams Tennis Center.
UTSA (7-10, 2-5 SLC), which dropped its sixth consecutive match, was unable to snap its losing streak despite leading late in the contest.
Sam Houston State (11-5, 5-3 SLC) picked up victories at Nos. 3 and 5 singles to complete the comeback.
The Roadrunners took an early lead after winning two of the three doubles contests.
Senior Stefanie Peana and sophomore Isabelle Jonsson then picked up triumphs at Nos. 1 and 2 singles, respectively, while the Bearkats earned wins at Nos. 4 and 5 to set up the late rally.
UTSA will try to get back on the winning track at 11 a.m. on Saturday at No. 50 Stephen F. Austin.
Sam Houston State 4, UTSA 3
1. Jonsson/Peana (UTSA) def. Dubyanskaya/Postnikova (SHSU) 8-4
2. Currie/Petaia (SHSU) def. Carrillo/Silva (UTSA) 8-2
3. Hand/Menon (UTSA) def. Jagau/Stevenson (SHSU) 8-5
1. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) def. Imke Jagau (SHSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Sheridan Currie (SHSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Natalie Petaia (SHSU) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 6-4
4. Tatyana Postnikova (SHSU) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Nadia Dubyanskaya (SHSU) def. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) 7-5, 7-5
6. Olivia Battye (SHSU) def. Vivian Carrillo (UTSA) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1