Texas State hands UTSA 6-1 loss on Sunday
SAN ANTONIO — Texas State won the opening doubles session before taking five of the six singles tilts and the I-35 rival Bobcats handed UTSA a 6-1 setback on Sunday afternoon.
The Roadrunners (7-9, 2-4 SLC) won the No. 1 doubles contest, but they were unable to overcome Texas State (11-4, 6-1 SLC) at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions.
Freshman Irene Gandara Gonzalez picked up UTSA's lone point with a straight-sets triumph (6-2, 6-2) against Mariana Perez at No. 5 singles.
Meanwhile, senior Micaela Silva and junior Vivian Carrillo each forced their matchups to a deciding third frame before falling at the Nos. 3 and 6 spots, respectively.
The Roadrunners will return to action on Friday, April 6, when they begin a two-match road swing at Sam Houston State.
Texas State 6, UTSA 1
1. Peana/Jonsson (UTSA) def. Kahts/Hadad (TXST) 9-7
2. Rojas/Van Den Bergh (TXST) def. Silva/Carrillo (UTSA) 9-7
3. Perez/Baldree (TXST) def. Menon/Hand (UTSA) 8-6
1. Jessica Kahts (TXST) def. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
2. Melissa Hadad (TXST) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Rachel Baldree (TXST) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 5-7, 6-2, 7-6 (11-9)
4. Gabriela Rojas (TXST) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
5. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Mariana Perez (TXST) 6-2, 6-2
6. Berenice Van Den Bergh (TXST) def. Vivian Carrillo (UTSA) 2-6, 7-5, 7-5