UTSA falls short against UT Arlington on Saturday, 5-2
SAN ANTONIO — UT Arlington downed UTSA, 5-2, in Southland Conference action on Saturday afternoon at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (7-8, 2-3 SLC) fell behind early after dropping two of three doubles tilts, which gave the Mavericks (9-7, 5-2 SLC) the opening point.
UT Arlington went on to claim four of the six singles matchups to pull away for the victory.
UTSA netted points at Nos. 2 and 6 singles, as sophomore Isabelle Jonsson and junior Vivian Carrillo each won their contests.
Jonsson overcame a one-set deficit to upend Verena Scott, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5, while Carrillo cruised to a 6-3, 6-4 decision against Christine Foote.
The Roadrunners return to action at 1 p.m. on Sunday when they host I-35 rival Texas State.
UT Arlington 5, UTSA 2
1. Martinez-Romer/Matovicova (UTA) def. Peana/Jonsson (UTSA) 8-5
2. Silva/Carrillo (UTSA) def. D'ortona/Mayuk (UTA) 8-2
3. Foote/Scott (UTA) def. Menon/Hand (UTSA) 8-6
1. Maria Martinez-Romer (UTA) def. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Verena Scott (UTA) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Natalia Mayuk (UTA) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3
4. Giada D'ortona (UTA) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. Nikola Matovicova (UTA) def. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Vivian Carrillo (UTSA) def. Christine Foote (UTA) 6-3, 6-4