SAN ANTONIO — UTSA won the opening doubles point, but New Mexico State rallied in singles play and picked up a 5-2 victory on Thursday afternoon at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (7-7) trailed in both of the top two doubles flights, but they came back to take the point from the Aggies (8-4) by winning two of the three matchups.
However, the Birds could not carry the momentum into singles play, as New Mexico State claimed five of the six tilts, including four in straight sets.
Senior Micaela Silva came back from a set down for the second consecutive match to defeat Natalia Salum, 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6), at the No. 3 spot.
Meanwhile, freshman Irene Gandara Gonzalez was the only other UTSA player to force a deciding frame, but she fell short against Annemieke Witte, 6-7, 6-2, 0-1 (8-10), at the fifth position.
The Roadrunners will continue their four-game home stand when they host UT Arlington on Saturday, March 31.
New Mexico State 5, UTSA 2
1. Peana/Jonsson (UTSA) def. Salum/Sylvain (NMSU) 8-6
2. Silva/Carrillo (UTSA) def. Witte/Van Der Ben (NMSU) 8-5
3. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) def. Hand/Menon (UTSA) 8-4
1. Manon Sylvain (NMSU) def. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3
2. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
3. Micaela Silva (UTSA) def. Natalia Salum (NMSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) 7-6, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Natalie Hand (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1