UMBC downs UTSA on Tuesday, 5-2
SAN ANTONIO — UMBC sent UTSA to its second consecutive defeat with a 5-2 victory on Tuesday afternoon at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Retrievers (9-5) claimed the opening doubles point after winning two of the three contests.
The Roadrunners (7-6) won at both No. 3 and No. 4 singles, but that came after UMBC already had clinched the match.
Junior Kavya Menon earned a straight-sets victory with a 6-2, 6-4 decision against Isabel Aldunate at the fourth spot. The Plano native also teamed up with junior Natalie Hand for an 8-5 triumph in doubles action.
Meanwhile, senior Micaela Silva rallied for a three-set victory at third singles against Carmen Jackman (5-7, 6-4, 10-8).
UTSA will continue its four-match home stand at 1 p.m. on Thursday against New Mexico State.
UMBC 5, UTSA 2
1. Berghaus/Jackman (UMBC) def. Jonsson/Peana (UTSA) 8-4
2. Sahoo/Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) def. Silva/Carrillo (UTSA) 8-6
3. Menon/Hand (UTSA) def. Hadji/Danielsson (UMBC) 8-5
1. Kim Berghaus (UMBC) def. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Shalini Sahoo (UMBC) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
3. Micaela Silva (UTSA) def. Carmen Jackman (UMBC) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Kavya Menon (UTSA) def. Isabel Aldunate (UMBC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Heidi Danielsson (UMBC) def. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Josefin Stange-Jonsson (UMBC) def. Natalie Hand (UTSA) 6-1, 6-4