Islanders rally past Roadrunners, 5-2
CORPUS CHRISTI — Texas A&M-Corpus Christi overcame a 2-0 deficit and the Islanders rallied for a 5-2 victory against UTSA on Wednesday.
The Roadrunners (7-5, 2-2 SLC) won the opening doubles point and sophomore Isabelle Jonsson gained a straight-sets victory at No. 2 singles to give UTSA the early advantage.
However, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (7-2, 2-1 SLC) stormed back to win the final five singles tilts for the come-from-behind triumph.
Mirna Cicak provided the clincher for the Islanders with a 6-3, 6-4 win against senior Stefanie Peana at the top spot.
UTSA will return to the courts on Tuesday, March 20, when it begins a four-match home stand with UMBC.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 5, UTSA 2
1. Peana/Jonsson (UTSA) def. Cicak/Kuselj (AMCC) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Burges/Horan (AMCC) def. Silva/Carrillo (UTSA) 8-0
3. Menon/Hand (UTSA) def. Nicolae/Matuszak (AMCC) 8-6
1. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) def. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Doris Kuselj (AMCC) 6-4, 6-0
3. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Sandra Burges (AMCC) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Chelsea Horan (AMCC) def. Natalie Hand (UTSA) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Mia Matuszak (AMCC) def. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3