Singles play carries UTSA to 4-2 victory against Nicholls
NEW BRAUNFELS — Junior Kavya Menon provided the clinching point and UTSA defeated Nicholls, 4-2, in a Southland Conference match on Saturday afternoon at the T Bar M Resort.
The Roadrunners (7-4, 2-1 SLC) received solid play from the top of the lineup, as both senior Stefanie Peana and sophomore Isabelle Jonsson netted straight-sets triumphs at Nos. 1 and 2 singles respectively.
Meanwhile, freshman Irene Gandara Gonzalez won her fourth consecutive match after sweeping Marin Ljoshevska, 6-3, 6-0, at the sixth position.
However, it was Menon's 6-1, 6-4 victory at the No. 4 spot that clinched the contest for UTSA.
The Colonels (3-7, 0-4 SLC) picked up a pair of points at Nos. 3 and 5 singles, while all three doubles matchups went unfinished.
UTSA will travel to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Wednesday, March 14, for a 2 p.m. league match.
UTSA 4, Nicholls 2
1. Peana/Jonsson (UTSA) vs. Leeuwerik/Maloo (NICH) 0-1 unfinished
2. Silva/Carrillo (UTSA) vs. Gauthier/Ljoshevska (NICH) unfinished
3. Menon/Hand (UTSA) vs. Aubert/Pont Grau (NICH) unfinished
1. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) def. Parija Maloo (NICH) 6-4, 6-3
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Catherine Gauthier (NICH) 6-1, 6-2
3. Marie Aubert (NICH) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 6-4, 7-5
4. Kavya Menon (UTSA) def. Andrea Pont Grau (NICH) 6-1, 6-4
5. Janna Leeuwerik (NICH) def. Natalie Hand (UTSA) 6-1, 6-1
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Marina Ljoshevska (NICH) 6-3, 6-0