Courtesy: UTSA Athletics Communications
SAN ANTONIO — Abilene Christian swept all three doubles matches and the ensuing six singles contests to blank UTSA in a non-conference tilt on Friday at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Wildcats (10-3), who are the nation's sixth-ranked team at the Division II level, won four of the six single matches in straight sets against the Roadrunners (3-5).
Sophomores Kavya Menon and Mariel Maffezzolli each extended their matches, at Nos. 3 and 6 singles, respectively, to a third set by winning the opener, but both dropped the final two frames.
Juniors Stefanie Peana and Micaela Silva teamed up for the first time this season at the top doubles spot, but the duo fell to Jaclyn Walker and Julia Mongin, 8-6.
The Roadrunners return to the courts at 10 a.m. on Saturday with home tilt against Central Arkansas.
#6 Abilene Christian 7, UTSA 0
1. Mongin/Walker (ACU) def. Peana/Silva (UTSA) 8-6
2. Carver/Kelley (ACU) def. Maffezzolli/Menon (UTSA) 8-4
3. Hermsdorf/White (ACU) def. Dedering/Ottenbreit (UTSA) 8-4
1. Julia Mongin (ACU) def. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) 6-0, 6-1
2. Jaclyn Walker (ACU) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
3. Cassie Carver (ACU) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Hannah Kelley (ACU) def. Caroline Dedering (UTSA) 6-4, 6-3
5. Micah Hermsdorf (ACU) def. Katie Ottenbreit (UTSA) 6-0, 6-1
6. Natalie Friend (ACU) def. Mariel Maffezzolli (UTSA) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3