Courtesy: UTSA Athletics Communications
BATON ROUGE, La. — Senior Caroline Dedering and freshman Isabelle Jonsson and each won their singles matches, but it was not enough, as Southeastern Louisiana downed UTSA by a score of 5-2 in the Southland Conference opener for both teams on Sunday. The two teams were forced to move to a neutral site after inclement weather rolled through the Hammond area on Saturday.
UTSA (3-4, 0-1 SLC) dropped all three doubles matches and the Lady Lions (4-2, 1-0 SLC) collected wins at first, third, fourth and sixth singles to claim the win.
Jonsson defeated Raissa Dias in straight sets (6-0, 6-0) at the No. 2 singles position. Meanwhile, Dedering earned the Roadrunners' second point after getting past Nina Schmied, 6-2, 7-5, at the No. 5 spot.
Junior Stefanie Peana was outlasted in three sets at the top spot by Audrey Chelini. Peana won the opening set, 6-4, but she dropped the next two, 6-0, 7-6 (10-8).
UTSA will return to the Alamo City for a four-match home stand that begins on Friday, March 11, against Abilene Christian.
Southeastern Louisiana 5, UTSA 2
1. Hagiu/Verges (SLU) def. Stefanie Peana/Jonsson (UTSA) 8-5
2. Chelini/Dias (SLU) def. Dedering/Silva (UTSA) 8-5
3. Dadot/Schmied (SLU) def. Menon/Maffezzolli (UTSA) 8-5
1. Audrey Chelini (SLU) def. Stefanie Peana (UTSA) 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (10-8)
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Raissa Dias (SLU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Laura Verges (SLU) def. Micaela Silva (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Morgane Dadot (SLU) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Caroline Dedering (UTSA) def. Nina Schmied (SLU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Isabel Brito (SLU) def. Katie Ottenbreit (UTSA) 6-4, 6-0