No. 21 Rice gets past UTSA on Sunday, 5-1
HOUSTON — No. 21 Rice won five of the six singles matches played and the Owls downed UTSA by a score of 5-1 in both team's regular season finale on Sunday.
Miriam Rosell Canudas picked up the lone point for UTSA (11-10) with her three-set win against 109th-ranked Dominique Harmath (6-4, 1-6, 6-4). The freshman from Barcelona, Spain, won for the 12th time in her last 13 outings and improved to a team-leading 17-4 this season.
The Owls (14-6) won the remaining five singles contests in straight sets.
Due to travel plans, the three doubles tilts were not played.
The Roadrunners will play in their first-ever Conference USA Championships next week in Norfolk, Va., and they will face the winner of Wednesday's first-round match between No. 9 seed Middle Tennessee (10-9) and 16th-seeded Florida Atlantic (10-10) at 2 p.m. on Thursday.
#21 Rice 5, UTSA 1
1. #103 Natalie Beazant (RU) def. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) 6-0, 6-0
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. #109 Dominique Harmath (RU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
3. #82 Katherine Ip (RU) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Kimberly Anicete (RU) def. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alison Ho (RU) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 7-5, 6-3
6. Solomiya Zinko (RU) def. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Singles (1,6,4,3,5,2)