Roadrunners cruise to fifth consecutive victory on Senior Day
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA closed out its spring home schedule on Thursday afternoon with a convincing 7-0 victory against former Southland Conference foe Lamar.
The Roadrunners' fifth consecutive victory improved their season record to 10-7 and it was their first win against the Lady Cardinals (4-10) since April 25, 2009, at the Southland Tournament in Corpus Christi.
UTSA got on the board early with doubles triumphs at the top two spots in the lineup.
Jacobea Junger and Miriam Rosell Canudas won their 11th consecutive outing on the first court against Carolina Masó and Alicia Porte, 8-2, to improve to 12-1 this season, while Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova clinched the opening point with an 8-6 victory against Dariya Dashutina and Hanna Elfving.
Lamar was unable to get on track in singles play, as the Roadrunners won five of the six contests in straight sets.
Rosell Canudas won her ninth match in a row at the No. 2 position, 6-1, 6-2, against Masó and she now has won her last 16 sets dating back to Feb. 22. The freshman from Barcelona, Spain, is a team-best 14-3 in dual-match play this year.
Meanwhile, Junger stretched her unbeaten streak to a half dozen with her 6-2, 6-3 victory against Dashutina at the top spot, while Isabelle Jonsson, who was honored as part of Senior Day festivities prior to the match, ran hers to five with a 6-0, 6-0 whitewashing against Porte on the third court.
Lina Hallgren (6-2, 6-3 vs. Elfving) and Irene Gandara Gonzalez (6-4, 6-0 vs. Anna Spengler) were victorious at the Nos. 5 and 6 positions, respectively, and Nicole Karaklis polished off the shutout with a three-set triumph (4-6, 6-2, 6-1) against Katya Lapayeva at the fourth slot.
UTSA will kick off a season-ending four-match road trip on Saturday at No. 67 North Texas (8-10). First serve is scheduled for 11 a.m.
UTSA 7, Lamar 0
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Masó/Porte (LU) 8-2
2. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) def. Dashutina/Elfving (LU) 8-6
3. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) vs. Lapayeva/Spengler (LU) 7-6, unfinished
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Dariya Dashutina (LU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Carolina Masó (LU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Alicia Porte (LU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) def. Katya Lapayeva (LU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) def. Hanna Elfving (LU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Anna Spengler (LU) 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,2,5,1,6,4)