Roadrunners edge past Liberty on Tuesday, 4-3
SAN ANTONIO — Playing in its first match in 12 days, UTSA rallied from an early deficit by winning four singles contests and the Roadrunners edged Liberty by a score of 4-3 on Tuesday in their first home contest since Feb. 9.
UTSA (6-7) dropped the doubles point, but it didn't come without drama, as it took a tiebreaker on the third court to decide who would take the first lead of the match.
After Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova dropped an 8-4 decision to Belen Rivera and Brittany Yang at the No. 2 position in the lineup, Jacobea Junger and Miriam Rosell Canudas won their seventh consecutive outing at the top spot with an 8-6 triumph against Rebekah Jenkins and Maria Khval. Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonsson were unable to secure the early advantage for the Roadrunners, as Cameron Richard and Valerie Thong held on for a 9-8 (7-5) victory.
The Flames (7-5) extended their lead to 2-0 when Yang came off the fourth court with a straight-sets victory against Nicole Karaklis (6-3, 6-4), but it was all UTSA after that.
Junger downed Jenkins in two sets at the No. 1 slot in the lineup (6-3, 6-4) and that was followed by Irene Gandara Gonzalez's 6-4, 6-2 win against Nicole Wellman at the sixth position, which tied the contest at two.
Rosell Canudas then gave the Birds the lead for good with a 6-1, 6-4 triumph against Khval on the second court. The freshman from Barcelona improved to a team-leading 10-3 this spring with her fifth straight victory.
Jonsson clinched the victory and ended UTSA's two-match losing streak with her 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 win against Mariely Hassey at the No. 3 slot.
The Roadrunners' three-match home stand will continue on Wednesday when former Southand Conference foe Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (6-2) comes to the Alamo City for a 2 p.m. contest.
UTSA 4, Liberty 3
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Jenkins/Khval (LU) 8-6
2. Rivera/Yang (LU) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-4
3. Richard/Thong (LU) def. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 9-8 (7-5)
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Rebekah Jenkins (LU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Maria Khval (LU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Mariely Hassey (LU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
4. Brittany Yang (LU) def. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Belen Rivera (LU) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Nicola Wellman (LU) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,6,2,3,5)