Courtesy: UTSA Athletics
MONROE, La. — UTSA won its second consecutive match with a 4-1 victory at Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday. The Roadrunners (5-5) reached .500 for the first time this season by winning for the fourth time in their last five outings.
UTSA took an early 1-0 lead after winning the top two doubles contests.
After Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova made quick work of Sandy Lochu and Sthefani Rodriguez on the second court, 8-2, Jacobea Junger and and Miriam Rosell Canudas registered their fourth straight triumph at the top spot with an 8-7 (7-3) win against Medy Blankvoort and Petra Horakova.
The Roadrunners clinched the match with victories in the three completed singles matchups.
Lina Hallgren dropped just one game to Lochu at the No. 5 position (6-0, 6-1), while Nicole Karaklis downed Angela Tejedor in straight sets at the fourth spot (6-2, 6-4). Rosell Canudas then polished off the win with a 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 6-2 triumph on the second court for her team-leading seventh victory of the spring. All three posted their fourth triumph in their last five outings.
UTSA will take on former Southland Conference foe Northwestern State (3-3) at 10 a.m. on Sunday.
UTSA 4, Louisiana-Monroe 1
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Blankvoort/Horakova (ULM) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) def. Lochu/Rodriguez (ULM) 8-2
3. Rufyikiri/Tejedor (ULM) def. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 8-4
1. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) 6-0, 6-1
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 6-2
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Petra Horakova (ULM) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
4. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) def. Angela Tejedor (ULM) 6-2, 6-4
5. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) def. Sandy Lochu (ULM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Irene Gandara-Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Sthefani Rodriguez (ULM) 6-3, unfinished