Northwestern State edges Roadrunners on Sunday, 4-3
NATCHITOCHES, La. — UTSA's weekend ended with a 4-3 loss at Northwestern State on Sunday.
The Lady Demons (3-3) jumped on top early after winning two of the three doubles tilts.
After Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova dropped an 8-2 decision to Natalya Krutova and Kateryna Piatakova at the No. 2 spot, Jacobea Junger and Miriam Rosell Canudas evened things up with their fifth consecutive triumph on the first court with an 8-5 victory against Polina Konop and Tatiana Larina. However, the Northwestern State duo of Allona Ladutska and Daniela Simonova outlasted Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonsson in a tiebreaker, 8-7 (11-9), to secure the 1-0 lead.
Ladutska extended the advantage to two with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Hallgren at No. 5 singles, but Junger pulled UTSA (5-6) to within one with a 6-3, 6-4 victory against Konop at the top spot.
Rosell Canudas tied things up at two on the second court with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph against Larina, but the Lady Demons came away with three-set wins at the Nos. 3 and 4 spots to clnch the match.
Krutova held off Jonsson by scores of 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, while Piatakova got past Nicole Karaklis, 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 6-2.
Irene Gandara Gonzalez registered the Roadrunners' other point with a come-from-behind 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 win against Simonova at the sixth slot in the lineup.
UTSA will conclude its five-match road trip on Thursday, Feb. 27, at UT Arlington (4-4).
Northwestern State 4, UTSA 3
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Konop/Larina (NWLA) 8-5
2. Krutova/Piatakova (NWLA) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-2
3. Ladutska/Simonova (NWLA) def. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 8-7 (11-9)
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Polina Konop (NWLA) 6-3, 6-4
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Tatiana Larina (NWLA) 6-4, 6-2
3. Natalya Krutova (NWLA) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
4. Kateryna Piatakova (NWLA) def. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 6-2
5. Aliona Ladutska (NWLA) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Daniela Simonova (NWLA) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,1,2,3,4,6)