Roadrunners rout UAB on Sunday, 7-0
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — UTSA blanked UAB on Sunday for its third victory in its last four outings, all of which have been shutouts.
The Roadrunners (4-5) picked up the doubles point following wins at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions in the lineup.
After Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonsson downed Paula Castro and Pardis Kianoush, 8-5, on the third court, Jacobea Junger and Miriam Rosell Canudas stretched their winning streak at the top spot to four matches with an 8-5 victory against Rachel Daniell and Elaine Simon.
The Blazers (2-4) were unable to get on track in singles play, as UTSA won four of the six contests in straight sets.
Junger topped Daniell at the No. 1 slot by scores of 6-4, 6-2 for her fourth consecutive triumph, while Isabelle Jonsson defeated Kianoush at the No. 3 position (6-4, 6-2), Nicole Karaklis won on the fourth court against Catherine Ragon (6-4, 7-5) and Hallgren got past Castro at the fifth spot (6-2, 6-4).
UTSA's other triumphs came at the sixth position when Irene Gandara Gonzalez defeated Simon in three sets (6-3, 5-7, 10-3) and on the second court when Rosell Canudas got past Amy Lowther when Lowther retired in the third set.
The Roadrunners will continue their five-match road trip with a 1:30 p.m. contest on Saturday, Feb. 22, at Louisiana-Monroe (2-1).
UTSA 7, UAB 0
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Daniell/Simon (UAB) 8-5
2. Lowther/Ragon (UAB) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-2
3. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) def. Castro/Kianoush (UAB) 8-3
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 6-4, 6-2
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 0-6, 6-1, 4-2, retired
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Pardis Kianoush (UAB) 6-4, 6-2
4. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) def. Catherine Ragon (UAB) 6-4, 7-5
5. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) def. Paula Castro (UAB) 6-2, 6-4
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-3, 5-7, 10-3