Courtesy: UTSA Athletics
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — UTSA saw its two-match winning streak come to an end on Saturday when it dropped a 6-1 decision at Samford.
It was all Bulldogs (3-1) early, as they breezed to the doubles point with big wins.
Jessica Northcutt and Stephanie N'tcha defeated Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova at the No. 2 spot, 8-1, and that was followed by an 8-2 triumph by Yasmeen Ebada and Emily Mallory that ended Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonsson's four-match winning streak on the third court.
The Roadrunners (3-5) were unable to get on track in singles play, as Jacobea Junger was the lone UTSA player to win a contest.
Junger rallied for a 2-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-2 victory against Kristin Lewis at the No. 1 position for her third consecutive win and fourth overall this spring.
UTSA will continue its five-match road trip on Sunday with an 11 a.m. tilt at UAB (2-3).
Samford 6, UTSA 1
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Moolman/Lewis (SU) 6-1, unfinished
2. Northcutt/N'tcha (SU) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-1
3. Ebada/Mallory (SU) def. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 8-2
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Kristin Lewis (SU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
2. #73 Stephanie N'tcha (SU) def. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3
3. Yasmeen Ebada (SU) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jessica Northcutt (SU) def. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) 6-0, 6-3
5. Emily Mallory (SU) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 7-5, 6-2
6. Lauren Caballero (SU) def. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3