New Mexico sends UTSA to third consecutive loss to open campaign
HOUSTON — New Mexico sent UTSA to its third consecutive loss to open the season with 5-2 victory on Saturday.
The Roadrunners (0-3) got victories from Jacobea Junger and Miriam Rosell Canudas at the top two singles spots, but its wasn't enough against the Lobos (1-0), who were playing their first match of the campaign.
Junger picked up her first triumph of the spring with a 7-5, 4-6, 10-7 decision against Michaela Bezdickova at the top position.
Meanwhile, Rosell Canudas was victorious for the second time this year following her 4-6, 6-0, 10-2 comeback win against Lizette Blankers on the second court.
New Mexico, which claimed the doubles point with victories at the second and third spots, clinched the contest with straight-set triumphs at the bottom four singles positions.
UTSA will open its home slate next Saturday, Feb. 1, against former Southland Conference foe McNeese State, which does not open the season until next Friday against UTEP in the Alamo City.
New Mexico 5, UTSA 2
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) vs. Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM) 5-4, unfinished
2. Hopson/Smith (UNM) def. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 6-2
3. Baklini/Olivier (UNM) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 6-2
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Michaela Bezdickova (UNM) 7-5, 4-6, 10-7
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Lizette Blankers (UNM) 4-6, 6-0, 10-2
3. Meredith Hopson (UNM) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-4, 6-0
4. Natasha Smith (UNM) def. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
5. Emily Olivier (UNM) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Susan Baklini (UNM) def. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5