Courtesy: UTSA Athletics
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA made quick work of St. Mary's on Saturday in an exhibition match between the two local programs at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners took an early lead after winning two of the three doubles contests.
The No. 1 duo of Jacobea Junger and Miriam Rosell Canudas downed Jamie Lee Denton and Mariana Rong, 6-3, while the No. 3 pairing of Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova topped Joanie Bryant and Ariana Sadana, 6-4.
UTSA clinched the victory by winning five of the six singles matchups.
Junger defeated Rong at the top spot in straight sets (6-2, 6-2), while Rosell Canudas handed Christina Lopez a 6-1, 7-5 setback at the No. 2 position. Isabelle Jonsson was victoious in two stanzas against Felicity Delgado at No. 3 (7-5, 6-2), Lina Hallgren got past Sadana, 6-0, 6-3, at the fifth slot and Irene Gandara Gonzalez defeated Bryant by identical 6-1 scores.
The Roadrunners will open their regular season with three road matches next week beginning with a Wednesday contest at No. 17 Texas.
UTSA 6, St. Mary's 1 (Exhibition Match)
1. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Denton/Rong (STMU) 6-3
2. Delgado/Lopez (STMU) def. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 6-3
3. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) def. Bryant/Sadana (STMU) 6-4
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Mariana Rong (STMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) def. Christina Lopez (STMU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Felicity Delgado (STMU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Jamie Lee Denton (STMU) def. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) 4-6, 6-2, 10-1
5. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) def. Ariana Sadana (STMU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Joanie Bryant (STMU) 6-1, 6-1