SAN ANTONIO — UTSA will travel to Henderson, Nev., to compete at the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Men's Golf Championship. The three-day event is scheduled to tee off on Monday at Rio Secco Golf Club.
The Roadrunners will battle against nine other teams that includes Denver, Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Seattle, Texas State, UT Arlington and Utah State. The field will play 18 holes each day with tee times beginning at 9 a.m. (CT).
UTSA enters the conference tournament ranked third in the WAC in scoring average (294.7) behind Denver (291.8) and defending champion San Jose State (292.4). Individually, junior Ryan Werre is 14th (2.34) in the league in Golfstat’s adjusted scoring average against par.
In its final Southland Conference Championship one year ago, UTSA finished eighth behind a seventh-place showing from Werre. The Roadrunners’ highest league finish of second has been registered five times, most recently in 2006. UTSA has had a pair of individual conference champions, both in the Southland, in John Elizondo (2006) and Magnus Dohlvik (1997).
What: Western Athletic Conference Men's Golf Championship
When: Monday, April 29 — Wednesday, May 1
Where: Rio Secco Golf Club — Henderson, Nev.
Teams: Denver, Idaho, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Seattle, Texas State, UT Arlington, Utah State, UTSA
Format: Three days, 18 holes per day, stroke play
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
Brett Hogan, Fr. (Calgary, Alberta)
· Tied for second at the Rice Intercollegiate with a five-under 211 (68-74-69)
· Named WAC Player of the Week on Feb. 12
· Ranks third on the team with a 74.43 stroke average
Garrison Lackey, So. (Weslaco, Texas)
· Tied for 10th with a three-over 216 (70-74-72) at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational
· Ranks third on the team this spring with a 74.39 stroke average
· Carded 74-74-71—219 to tie for 25th at the Bayou City Collegiate Championship
J.J. Lindsey, Fr. (Adkins, Texas)
· Tied for seventh at the Jim West Intercollegiate with a 73-77-72—222
· Tied for 12th as an individual with a 219 (72-72-74) at the Lone Star Invitational
· Ranks fourth on the squad with a 75.28 stroke average
Stanton Tondre, Sr. (Castroville, Texas)
· Stands second on the team this spring with a 74.27 stroke average
· Posted a two-under 70-74-70—214 to tie for second at the Lone Star Invitational
· Carded a 71-72-72—215 to tie for 21st at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
Ryan Werre, Jr. (Redcliff, Alberta)
· Leads UTSA with a 73.77 stroke average
· Tied for third with a two-under 211 (69-69-73) at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational
· Has registered three top-10 finishes this season