Roadrunners blank Seattle, 4-0, in Saturday's regular season finale
MOSCOW, Idaho — Alena Shichkova provided the clinching point and UTSA shut out Seattle, 4-0, in its regular season finale on Saturday at the Memorial Gym Courts.
Shichkova was pushed to a third set at the No. 3 singles position by Gabriella Weissman, but she posted a 6-0 win in the final frame to clinch the contest for the Roadrunners (7-12, 2-6 WAC), who had to wait out a seven-hour weather delay before the match was moved indoors.
Meanwhile, Jacobea Junger, Isabelle Jonsson and Kavya Menon all netted straight-sets victories at the Nos. 1, 2 and 4 spots to allow UTSA to open a 3-0 advantage.
The three doubles contests were not played.
UTSA now must await the results of the remaining Western Athletic Conference matches before learning if they will qualify to the conference's postseason tournament, which is scheduled to take place from April 25-28 in Denver, Colo. A New Mexico State victory against No. 57 Denver on Sunday will end the Roadrunners' season.
UTSA 4, Seattle 0
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Lindsey Newman (SU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Anna Lambert (SU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) def. Gabriella Weissmann (SU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-0
4. Kavya Menon (UTSA) def. Dayna Bennett (SU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Miranda Poile (UTSA) vs. Sarah Lucas (SU) 2-3, unfinished
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) vs. Kristen James (SU) 2-1, unfinished