SAN ANTONIO — UTSA got back on the winning track on Wednesday with a 6-1 victory against 29th-ranked Incarnate Word.
The Roadrunners (3-1) cruised in doubles competition to claim the opening point and then won five of the six singles tilts to clinch the win.
Isabelle Jonsson, Jacobea Junger and Miranda Poile all won their singles contests to remain unbeaten this spring. Jonsson and Junger improved to 4-0, while Poile bumped her record to 3-0.
Alena Shichkova and Kavya Menon added to the singles tallies with straight-sets triumphs at the third and fifth positions, respectively.
Meanwhile, Jonsson and Junger also collected doubles victories.
Jonsson teamed up with Shichkova for an 8-5 victory at the top spot, while Junger and Daniela Garca-Diaz netted an 8-4 decision at the second position.
The Cardinals (1-1) picked up their lone point at No. 4 singles when Malisa Vatanadilok earned a straight-sets victory against Garcia-Diaz.
UTSA will return to the courts on Friday when it travels to I-35 rival Texas State for its Western Athletic Conference opener. First serve is slated for 12 p.m.
UTSA 6, Incarnate Word 1
1. Jonsson/Shichkova (UTSA) def. Katavic/Botha (UIW) 8-5
2. Junger/Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) def. Karaklis/Vatanadilok (UIW) 8-4
3. Hand/Menon (UTSA) vs. Betancourt/Strahl (UIW) 7-4, unfinished
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Ivana Katavic (UIW) 6-1, 6-4
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Andi Botha (UIW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) def. Taryn Strahl (UIW) 7-5, 6-0
4. Malisa Vatanadilok (UIW) def. Daniela Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) 6-3, 7-5
5. Kavya Menon (UTSA) def. Jennifer Betancourt (UIW) 6-3, 6-4
6. Miranda Poile (UTSA) def. Kelsey Reblin (UIW) 6-0, 6-2