SAN ANTONIO — The UTSA men’s golf team will host the fourth annual Lone Star Invitational this week at the Hill Country Resort Golf Course (par 72/6,931 yards). The three-day tournament tees off on Sunday morning.
The Roadrunners will compete against teams from Arizona, Central Arkansas, Denver, Houston, Houston Baptist, Illinois State, New Mexico State, North Texas, Rice, Sacramento State, Southern Mississippi, Stephen F. Austin, Texas State and Utah Valley.
The field will play 18 holes each day with tee times beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday and Monday, followed by an 8 a.m. shotgun start on Tuesday.
This year marks the first time the Lone Star Invitational will be played at Hill Country Resort Golf Club, as it was held at Briggs Ranch Golf Club the past three years.
Live scoring will be available online here.
This marks the third fall tournament for UTSA, which finished 11th in its last outing at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate. Senior Stanton Tondre leads the team with a 72.67 stroke average over six rounds and he posted the Birds’ top individual finish of 16th at the Tucker Intercollegiate.
The Roadrunners placed ninth at last year’s Lone Star Invitational behind Tondre and Ryan Werre, who both tied for 17th.
What: Fourth Annual Lone Star Invitational
When: Sunday, Oct. 14 — Tuesday, Oct. 16
Hill Country Resort Golf Club (par 72 / 6,931 yards)
9800 Hyatt Resort Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78251
Teams: Arizona, Central Arkansas, Denver, Houston, Houston Baptist, Illinois State, New Mexico State, North Texas, Rice, Sacramento State, Southern Mississippi, Stephen F. Austin, Texas State, Utah Valley, UTSA
Format: Three-day, 54-hole event
Sunday, Oct. 14 —Round 1 (tee times off Nos. 1 & 10 at 8:30 a.m.)
Monday, Oct. 15 —Round 2 (tee times off Nos. 1 & 10 at 8:30 a.m.)
Tuesday, Oct. 16 —Round 3 (shotgun start at 8 a.m.)
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
2011 Team Champion: New Mexico [-3 / 861 (274-286-301)]
2011 Individual Champion: Jeff Wibawa, Rice [-7 / 209 (70-67-72)]
Garrison Lackey, So. (Weslaco, Texas)
· Tied for 46th with a 75-73-80—228 at the Tucker Intercollegiate
· Top-40 ranked JUCO player as a freshman at Texarkana College
· 2011 Paris Fall Invitational runner-up with a 68-69—137
· Two-time District 32-5A individual medalist at Weslaco High
Brett Hogan, Fr. (Calgary, Alberta)
· Tied for 59th with a 81-73-77—231 at the Tucker Intercollegiate
· Fired a 75-73-78—226 to tie for 69th at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· One of Canada’s top-ranked junior golfers last year
· Posted top-10 finishes at a pair of Alberta Provincial Junior Boys Championships
Stanton Tondre, Sr. (Castroville, Texas)
· Leads the team and ranks seventh in the WAC with a 72.67 stroke average
· Carded a two-over 71-72-72—215 to tie for 21st at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Tied for 16th with a 72-76-73—221 at the Tucker Intercollegiate
· Advanced to 2012 Texas Golf AssociationPublic Links match play quarterfinals
Ryan Werre, Jr. (Redcliff, Alberta)
· Posted a one-over 71-72-71—214 to tie for 17th at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Led UTSA with a 73.53 stroke average in2011-12
· Earned second-team All-Southland Conference honors last year
· Recorded five top-15 and three top-10 finishes as a sophomore
Taylor Koser, Sr. (Rice Lake, Wis.)
· Tied for 49th with a 75-72-74—221 at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Tied for 73rd with a 76-80-81—237 at the Tucker Intercollegiate
· Posted a 76.15 stroke average in 2011-12
· Earned 2011-12 Southland Conference All-Academic Team accolades
J.J. Lindsey, Fr. (Adkins, Texas) ^
· Tied for 69th with a 79-73-74—226 at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· No. 1-ranked junior by Golf San Antonio in 2011-12
· 2011 Greater San Antonio Junior Match Play Champion
· Won a 2011 U.S. Junior Amateur Qualifier at Briggs Ranch Golf Club
Reed Stegall, So. (San Angelo, Texas) ^
· Carded a 75-77-79—231 to tie for 59th at the Tucker Intercollegiate
· Tied for 60th with a 78-75-71—224 at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Ranks fourth on the team with a 75.83 stroke average
· Tied for 33rd with a 76-85-76—237 at the 2012 Southland Conference Championship
^ competing as an individual