UTSA to compete in Dallas Athletic Club/SMU Invitational this weekend
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA will return to the course this weekend when it travels to the Metroplex to compete in the Dallas Athletic Club/SMU Invitational. The three-day tournament is slated to tee off on Friday at the Dallas Athletic Club (par 72/6,264).
The 54-hole event gets underway with tee times starting at 8 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, followed by an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start on Sunday.
UTSA will compete against 15 teams, including seven top-50 squads, in a field that includes Baylor, Iowa, No. 40 Kansas, Kansas State, No. 33 Kent State, No. 20 LSU, Nebraska, No. 27 North Carolina, North Texas, No. 14 Oklahoma State, Purdue, No. 49 SMU, TCU, Texas Tech and No. 19 Wake Forest.
The Roadrunners carded a 304-308-311—923 to finish fifth at last year’s event. Fabiola Arriaga paced the team with a 229 (75-76-78) to tie for 13th, while Taylor Newlin tied for 20th (77-78-76—231).
UTSA is coming off a seventh-place finish at the LSU Tiger Golf Classic on March 21-23 behind Taylor Newlin’s eighth-place showing (79-71-71—221).
What: Dallas Athletic Club/SMU Invitational
When: Friday, April 4 — Sunday, April 6
Where: Dallas Athletic Club · Dallas, Texas
Tournament Field: Baylor, Iowa, #40 Kansas, Kansas State, #33 Kent State, #20 LSU, Nebraska, #27 North Carolina, North Texas, #14 Oklahoma State, Purdue, #49 SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, UTSA, #19 Wake Forest
Format: 54 holes, 18 each day (8 a.m. tee times on Friday and Saturday/ 8:30 a.m. shotgun start on Sunday)
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
2013 Team Champion: Oklahoma State (896)
2013 Individual Champion: Julie Yang, Oklahoma State (210)
Fabiola Arriaga, Sr. (Torreon, Mexico)
· Leads the squad with a 74.00 stroke average
· Recorded a season-best 214 (68-74-72) en route to a 13th-place tie at The Alamo Invitational
· Stands 56th in the NCAA in pars per round (11.90)
Taylor Newlin, Sr. (Frisco, Texas)
· Tied for seventh at The Alamo Invitational with a 69-70-74—213
· Ranks third on the team with a 74.70 stroke average
· Carded a 79-71-71—221 to tie for 8th at the LSU Tiger Golf Classic
Aimee Ponte, Fr. (St. Sampson’s, U.K.)
· Ranks sixth in the NCAA in fairways hit (.913)
· Tied for 32nd at The Alamo Invitational with a 74-75-70—219
· Recorded a 78.18 stroke average to rank fourth on the squad
Libby Thomas, Fr. (Midland, Texas)
· Registered a 74-83—157 in her collegiate debut to tie for 84th
· Carded a 238 (78-82-78) to finish in 78th at The Alamo Invitational
· Owns a 78.75 stroke average
Brogan Townend, So. (Blackburn, England)
· Ranks second on the squad with a 74.50 stroke average
· Registered a season-low 67 en route to tying for 13th at The Alamo Invitational
· Tied for 17th with a 226 (79-73-74) at the LSU Tiger Golf Classic