UTSA to play in first-ever Conference USA Championship beginning Monday
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA will compete at this week's Conference USA Championship, which is scheduled to tee off on Monday at the Peninsula Golf Club (par 72/6,246 yards) in Gulf Shores, Ala. The three-day, 54-hole event will get underway with tee times starting at 7:30 a.m. each day.
The Roadrunners, who are ranked No. 54 by Golfweek and No. 58 by Golfstat, will compete against 12 other teams in their first-ever C-USA Championship. The field includes No. 43/47 East Carolina, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Old Dominion, Southern Miss, No. 29/34 and defending champion Tulane, Tulsa, UAB and UTEP. The team champion will gain the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.
The Roadrunners last competed on April 12-13 in a dual match play tournament against Baylor. Libby Thomas and Brogan Townend defeated Louise Gateau-Chovelon and Natalia Perez, 4-up, in a two-on-two scramble on the first day, while Thomas (5-and-4) and Townend (7-and-6) also won in head-to-head match play a day later.
UTSA has captured two conference championships in its nine-year history. The Roadrunners claimed their first by winning the 2011 Southland Conference Championship and successfully defended their title one year later. UTSA was fourth in their first and only Western Athletic Conference tournament last season and has finished fourth or better in each of the last six league championships.
Individually, a pair of Roadrunners has claimed conference medalist accolades. Allie Jordan carded a 73-76-73—222 to win the 2009 Southland crown and Shannon Jungmann took home that league’s top honor in 2012 after firing a 70-73-74—217. Additionally, Fabiola Arriaga tied for the top spot in 2011 but lost a sudden-death playoff on the third hole.
What: Conference USA Championship
When: Monday, April 21 — Wednesday, April 23
Where: Peninsula Golf Club · Gulf Shores, Ala.
Tournament Field: #47 East Carolina, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Old Dominion, Southern Miss, #34 Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, UTEP, UTSA
Format: 54 holes, 18 each day (Tee times starting at 7:30 a.m. each day)
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
2013 Team Champion: Tulane (877)
Fabiola Arriaga, Sr. (Torreon, Mexico)
· Leads the squad with a 73.91 stroke average
· Recorded a 75-71—146 to tie for 2nd-place at the Dallas Athletic Club/SMU Invitational
· Named Conference USA Player of the Week on April 9
· Stands 39th in the NCAA in pars per round (11.90)
Taylor Newlin, Sr. (Frisco, Texas)
· Tied for seventh at The Alamo Invitational with a 69-70-74—213
· Ranks second on the squad with a 74.77 stroke average
· Carded a 79-71-71—221 to tie for eighth at the LSU Tigers Classic
· Named to Conference USA All-Academic Team
Aimee Ponte, Fr. (St. Sampson’s, U.K.)
· Ranks fifth in the NCAA in fairways hit (.913)
· Tied for 32nd at The Alamo Invitational with a season-low 74-75-70—219
· Owns a 78.42 stroke average to rank fourth on the squad
Libby Thomas, Fr. (Midland, Texas)
· Registered a 74-83—157 in her collegiate debut to tie for 84th
· Carded a 157 to tie for 50th at the Dallas Athletic Club/SMU Invitational
· Ranks fifth on the squad with a 78.70 stroke average
Brogan Townend, So. (Blackburn, England)
· Recorded a season-low 67 en route to tying for 13th at The Alamo Invitational
· Tied for 17th with a 226 (79-73-74) at the LSU Tigers Classic
· Ranks third on the squad with a 74.95 stroke average