Roadrunners drop 5-2 decision at No. 63 Tulane on Sunday
NEW ORLEANS, La. — Tomas Stillman and Diogo Casa posted wins in singles competition, but it was not enough for UTSA in a 5-2 loss at No. 63 Tulane on Sunday afternoon at City Park Pepsi Tennis Center.
Stillman beat Sebastian Rey, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 2 singles to run his record to a team-best 18-2 on the year, including a 10-1 mark on the second court. The junior transfer from Harlingen now has won five straight and 17 of his last 18 outings.
Meanwhile, Casa scored a 6-4, 3-6, 10-2 victory against Alex Van Cott at the fourth spot to improve his season ledger to 9-12 overall and 6-5 at No. 4. The sophomore from Brazil has been victorious in four of his last five outings.
Already armed with a 1-0 lead after sweeping all three doubles matchups, the Green Wave (13-6) won on the other four singles courts.
The home team took a 3-0 lead after claiming triumphs at Nos. 5 and 3 and clinched the match with their fourth point coming from a 6-4, 7-5 victory by Dominik Koepfer over Yannick Junger at the top spot.
The Roadrunners (8-14) will return to action when they travel to Houston to take on Rice (7-10) at 1 p.m. on Thursday, April 3.
#63 Tulane 5, UTSA 2
1. #39 Chi-Shan/Koepfer (TU) def. #29 Rubio/Stillman (UTSA) 8-6
2. Rey/Van Cott (TU) def. Junger/Pearson (UTSA) 8-7
3. Sneddon/Van Cott (TU) def. Brand/Casa (UTSA) 8-4
1. Dominik Koepfer (TU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-4, 7-5
2. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. Sebastian Rey (TU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Jao Chi-Shan (TU) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 6-1, 6-3
4. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Alex Van Cott (TU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-2
5. Ian Van Cott (TU) def. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) 6-1, 6-3
6. Iain Sneddon (TU) def. Matt Mussenden (UTSA) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,3,1,6,2,4)