Courtesy: UTSA Athletics
CORPUS CHRISTI — Louisiana-Lafayette handed UTSA a 4-1 setback on Saturday morning in the third-place match of this weekend's 47th annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions.
The Ragin' Cajuns (7-6) swept the three doubles tilts to take an early lead and promptly won three of the four singles matches to clinch the victory.
The Roadrunners (6-5) earned their lone point at fourth singles when Joel Rubio got past Jarred Wynan, 6-2, 6-0.
Meanwhile, Martin Ayala and Diogo Casa lost their first doubles match of the season. The duo, which started out the spring nine consecutive wins, was handed an 8-3 defeat by Wynan and Rick de Groot at the top spot.
UTSA will continue its five-match road trip next Saturday, March 9, at No. 54 Old Dominion (8-3).
Louisiana-Lafayette 4, UTSA 1
1. Wynan/de Groot (ULL) def. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) 8-3
2. Lopez/Wynan (ULL) def. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) 6-4, unfinished
3. Johnson/Johnson (ULL) def. Guanais/Mussenden (UTSA) 8-0
1. Rick de Groot (ULL) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 6-3, 7-5
2. Jake Wynan (ULL) vs. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 7-6, 5-4, unfinished
3. Hunter Johnson (ULL) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 7-6, 6-1
4. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Jarred Wynan (ULL) 6-2, 6-0
5. Edgar Lopez (ULL) vs. David Kelleher (UTSA) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
6. Yates Johnson (ULL) def. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2