Roadrunners rebound with 5-2 victory at Lipscomb on Saturday
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — UTSA was able to get back on the winning track with a 5-2 victory at Lipscomb on Saturday at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (5-3) rebounded from Friday's 6-1 loss at No. 47 Middle Tennessee by winning two of three doubles tilts and four of six singles contests against the Bisons (3-4).
Martin Ayala and Diogo Casa improved to a perfect 8-0 on the year at No. 1 doubles following an 8-4 triumph against David Salazar and Oliver Strecker.
Meanwhile, Ayala, Casa, Tyler Brown and David Kelleher all picked up wins in singles action.
Ayala and Kelleher each registered straight-sets victories, while Casa and Brown outlast their opponents in three frames.
Lipscomb managed to pick up its two points at Nos. 4 and 6 singles.
UTSA will continue its season-long seven-match road trip on Friday, March 1, when it begins play at the 47th Annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions in Corpus Christi.
UTSA 6, Lipscomb 2
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Salazar/Strecker (LU) 8-4
2. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) def. Cortez/Tierney (LU) 8-5
3. Brown/Shaw (LU) def. Kilgo/Guanais (UTSA) 8-2
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Oliver Strecker (LU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. David Salazar (LU) 7-5, 6-7, 7-6
3. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Daniel Hernandez (LU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. Stuart Tierney (LU) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 7-5, 6-1
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Colby Shaw (LU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Miguel Cortez (LU) def. Oliver Breininger (UTSA) 7-6, 6-4