No. 14 California ends UTSA's campaign with 4-0 victory on Saturday
BERKELEY, Calif. — No. 14 California swept UTSA, 4-0, on Saturday in the opening round of the NCAA Championships at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
The Bears (13-11) opened the match by claiming the doubles point with a pair of victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions.
California then carried the momentum into singles play by claiming the first three tilts to advance to the second round.
Gregory Bayane put the Golden Bears up 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 triumph against freshman Joel Rubio at the fourth position. Chase Melton followed shortly thereafter with a 6-0, 6-2 win against senior Daniel Moser at No. 6. Ben McLachlan, the nation's 37th-ranked player, clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-4 victory against sophomore Yannick Junger at the top spot.
UTSA finished its season with a 13-11 overall record and the Southland Conference Tournament Championship.
#14 California 4, UTSA 0
1. #6 Andrews/Konigsfeldt (UC) vs. Junger/Zanotelli (UTSA) 7-4, unfinished
2. B. McLachlan/Melton (UC) def. Ayala/Brown (UTSA) 8-4
3. Bayane/Scholnick (UC) def. Kilgo/Rubio (UTSA) 8-2
1. #37 Ben McLachlan (UC) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-0, 6-4
2. #58 Nick Andrews (UC) vs. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 6-3, 5-3, unfinished
3. Christoffer Konigsfeldt (UC) vs. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 7-5, 4-1, unfinished
4. Gregory Bayane (UC) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 6-1, 6-1
5. Riki McLachlan (UC) vs. David Kelleher (UTSA) 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
6. Chase Melton (UC) def. Daniel Moser (UTSA) 6-0, 6-2