Moser propels UTSA to 4-3 victory at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
CORPUS CHRISTI — Senior Daniel Moser held off Gergo Weidinger in a three-set thriller and UTSA rallied for a 4-3 victory at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday evening. The win enabled the Roadrunners to clinch a berth in the Southland Conference Tournament.
UTSA (11-10, 3-2 SLC) swept all three doubles contests to claim the opening point, but the Islanders (10-11, 2-1 SLC) won the first two singles matches at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions to take a 2-1 lead.
Freshman David Kelleher won his seventh consecutive singles match after rallying from a one-set deficit to upend Fernando Llorens, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2, at the fifth spot to tie the contest.
However, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi jumped back in front when Aurelien Tave recorded a comeback win against sophomore Yannick Junger at the top spot.
Freshman Joel Rubio dropped the second set at the fourth position, but he was able to hold off Nathan Robinson for a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 triumph to tie the match at three.
Moser won his opening frame, 7-6 (7-4), but lost the second panel to Weidinger by a score of 6-3. However, the Texarkana native cruised in the deciding panel for a 6-2 victory to clinch UTSA's regular season finale.
The Roadrunners will be back in action in two weeks at the Southland Tournament, which will be played in Nacogdoches.
UTSA 4, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3
1. Zanotelli/Junger (UTSA) def. Tave/Westmoreland (AMCC) 8-6
2. Ayala/Brown (UTSA) def. Nagy/Pavlov (AMCC) 8-6
3. Kilgo/Rubio (UTSA) def. Maingot/Robinson (AMCC) 8-5
1. Aurelien Tave (AMCC) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Nagy (AMCC) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
3. Westmoreland (AMCC) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Fernando Llorens (AMCC) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Daniel Moser (UTSA) def. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-2