UT Arlington upends UTSA on Saturday, 4-3
SAN ANTONIO — UT Arlington won the opening doubles point and carried that momentum into singles play for a 4-3 victory at UTSA on Saturday.
The Mavericks (7-11, 1-2 SLC) took two of the three doubles tilts and then split the six singles matchups to hold off the Roadrunners (10-10, 2-2 SLC).
UT Arlington clinched the triumph when Soren Goritzka outlasted junior Tyler Brown in a three-set thriller at No. 2 singles.
UTSA received points after the bottom half of the singles slate all netted wins.
Freshman Joel Rubio collected a 6-2, 6-2 victory at the No. 4 position and senior Daniel Moser swept his opponent at the sixth spot. Meanwhile, freshman David Kelleher rallied from a one-set deficit to defeat David Subirats at the fifth spot for his team-leading 14th win of the spring.
The Roadrunners will play their regular season finale next Saturday, April 14, at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
UT Arlington 4, UTSA 3
1. Junger/Zanotelli (UTSA) def. Celedinas/Goritzka (UTA) 8-2
2. Subirats/Yakauleu (UTA) def. Brown/Ayala (UTSA) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Moreno/Lateko (UTA) def. Kilgo/Rubio (UTSA) 9-8 (10-8)
1. Mindaugas Celedinas (UTA) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-4, 6-0
2. Soren Goritzka (UTA) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-3)
3. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
4. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Nicolas Moreno (UTA) 6-2, 6-2
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. David Subirats (UTA) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Daniel Moser (UTSA) def. Jason Lateko (UTA) 6-2, 6-3