Roadrunners edge New Mexico State on Saturday, 4-3
LUBBOCK — Sophomore Yannick Junger provided the clinching point and UTSA edged New Mexico State, 4-3, on Saturday at the McLeod Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (8-9) won the opening doubles point by taking two of the three matchups and collected three victories in singles action to hand the Aggies (4-11) their eighth consecutive loss.
Junger and freshman David Kelleher each won their singles contests, which gave them a team-high 11 this spring.
Meanwhile, junior Tyler Brown bounced back with a 6-3, 6-0 victory against Marc Westgate at No. 2 singles.
The Birds received wins at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles, as the pairings of Junger and senior Pedro Zanotelli and Brown and freshman Joel Rubio came out on top.
UTSA returns to the Alamo City to host Laredo Community College on Friday, March 30.
UTSA 4, New Mexico State 3
1. Zanotelli/Junger (UTSA) def. Westgate/Ramirez (NMSU) 8-4
2. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) def. Stakne/Degardin (NMSU) 8-5
3. Frattini/Cabrita (NMSU) def. Kilgo/Guanais (UTSA) 9-8 (7-5)
1. Yannick Junger (UTSA) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
2. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Oliver Breininger (UTSA) 6-1, 6-4