No. 29 Texas Tech downs UTSA on Friday, 6-1
LUBBOCK — No. 29 Texas Tech rolled to a 6-1 victory against UTSA on Friday afternoon at the McLeod Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (7-9) picked up their lone point when Gabriel Wanderley retired due to illness in the second frame at No. 5 singles. Freshman David Kelleher, who won the opening panel, picked up the victory.
The Red Raiders (9-6) won the other five singles tilts, four in straight sets.
Sophomore Yannick Junger pushed Gonzalo Escobar, the nation's 59th-ranked singles player, to a deciding third frame, but Escobar rallied to win the final two sets.
UTSA will conclude its stay in Lubbock with a 1 p.m. match on Saturday against New Mexico State.
#29 Texas Tech 6, UTSA 1
1. Carvalho/Escobar (TTU) def. Junger/Zanotelli (UTSA) 8-3
2. Garcia/Manzini (TTU) def. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) 8-5
3. Pfister/Bryan (TTU) def. Guanais/Kilgo (UTSA) 8-4
1. #59 Gonzalo Escobar (TTU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Raony Carvalho (TTU) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 6-4, 6-4
3. Rafael Garcia (TTU) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
4. Vitor Manzini (TTU) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Gabriel Wanderley (TTU) 6-4, 3-4, retired
6. Francisco Zambon (TTU) def. Daniel Moser (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1