Courtesy: UTSA Athletics Communications
COLLEGE STATION — Two of the top three singles matches went three sets, but the UTSA men's tennis team was swept in a non-conference tilt at No. 5 Texas A&M on Sunday.
The Aggies (21-4) took all three doubles matches from the Roadrunners (9-9), including the top flight, where the fifth-ranked duo of Jeff Dadamo and Austin Krajicek handed senior Daniel Moreiras and junior Martin Ayala an 8-2 setback. The victory was Texas A&M's 31st consecutive home triumph.
In singles play, Ayala won the first set against Niall Angus at the No. 1 position, but he then dropped the next two in a 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9) decision. Sophomore Tyler Brown took Alberto Bautista the distance at the No. 3 spot by winning the second frame, but Bautista won the final set to take the match 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. Junior Ore wrapped up the match for the Aggies with the clinching point in a 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) victory against Moreiras at fourth singles.
UTSA will wrap up its regular season slate on Saturday, April 16, at Texas-Pan American (1-10, 1-3 SLC).
#5 Texas A&M 7, UTSA 0
1. Dadamo/Krajicek (TAMU) def. Ayala/Moreiras (UTSA) 8-2
2. Angus/Lewis (TAMU) def. T. Brown/Junger (UTSA) 8-6
3. Blackshear/Brown (TAMU) def. Stratmann/Zanotelli (UTSA) 8-6
1. Niall Angus (TAMU) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)
2. John Lewis (TAMU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Alberto Bautista (TAMU) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
4. Junior Ore (TAMU) def. Danny Moreiras (UTSA) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Daniel Brown (TAMU) def. Daniel Moser (UTSA) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kayvon Karimi (TAMU) def. Pedro Zanotelli (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3