Courtesy: UTSA Athletics Communications
PORTLAND, Ore. — Senior Daniel Moreiras provided the clinching point at No. 5 singles and UTSA picked up its fourth consecutive victory with a 5-2 decision at Portland on Sunday.
With the Roadrunners holding a one-point lead, Moreiras earned a 6-4, 6-1 triumph against Ratan Gill.
All told, UTSA (9-5) collected victories in five of the six singles contests after the Pilots (8-3) won the doubles point. All five of the Birds' wins in singles play were in straight sets.
Sophomore Tyler Brown was victorious for the eighth match in row in a 6-4, 6-3 triumph against Bryan Thorp at No. 3 singles.
The Roadrunners return to action on Thursday, March 17, at No. 3 Texas (11-3). First serve is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Penick-Allison Tennis Center in Austin.
UTSA 5, Portland 2
1. Ferrero/Hernandez (UP) def. Ayala/Moreiras (UTSA) 8-6
2. Hukwo/Guay (UP) def. Brown/Junger (UTSA) 8-1
3. Stratmann/Zanotelli (UTSA) def. Wales/Thorp (UP) 8-2
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Alex Ferrero (UP) 6-4, 6-3
2. Yannick Junger (UTSA) def. Geoff Hernandez (UP) 6-4, 6-2
3. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Bryan Thorp (UP) 6-4, 6-3
4. Michel Hukwo (POR) def. Max Stratmann (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Daniel Moreiras (UTSA) def. Ratan Gill (UP) 6-4, 6-1
6. Daniel Moser (UTSA) def. Justin Guay (UP) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2