Courtesy: UTSA Athletics Communications
ARLINGTON — UTSA won its third consecutive match to open the Southland Conference slate on Sunday with a 7-0 victory at UT Arlington.
The Roadrunners improved to 6-5 overall, while the Mavericks fell to 3-4 in their league opener.
UTSA won two of the three doubles matches to claim the early point and the two teams then split the remaining six singles matches.
Sophomore Martin Ayala returned to form with a straight-sets victory (6-3, 6-4) at No. 1 singles. Junior Daniel Moser also recorded a two-set win (6-4, 6-4) over Brieuc Hamon at the No. 6 position. Sophomore Tyler Brown went the distance to pick up a win after outlasting Erik Hjertonsson, 6-2, 5-7, 7-5, at the No. 3 spot.
Ayala and Moreiras won their sixth consecutive doubles match at the top spot to improve to 6-1 this spring. Meanwhile, Brown and freshman Yannick Junger earned a 9-8 (4) victory at the second slot.
UTSA will resume its current seven-match road trip next weekend in the Pacific Northwest, where it will take on Seattle (2-9), Montana (3-2) and Portland (7-1) from Friday-Sunday, March 11-13, in Portland, Ore.
UTSA 4, UT Arlington 3
1. Ayala/Moreiras (UTSA) def. Yakauleu/Celedinas (UTA) 8-4
2. Brown/Junger (UTSA) def. Moreno/Subirats (UTA) 9-8 (4)
3. Leppin/Hamon (UTA) def. Kilgo/Stratmann (UTSA) 9-8 (7)
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) 6-3, 6-4
2. Mindaugus Celedinas (UTA) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Erik Hjertonsson (UTA) 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
4. Lucas Leppin (UTA) def. Max Stratmann (UTSA) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. David Subirats (UTA) def. Daniel Moreiras (UTSA) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Daniel Moser (UTSA) def. Brieuc Hamon (UTA) 6-4, 6-4