Courtesy: UTSA Athletics Communications
SAN ANTONIO — The UTSA tennis team blanked Nicholls 4-0 in a ran-shortened home match on Sunday.
The Roadrunners improved to 5-4 overall and 2-0 in Southland Conference action, while the Colonels dropped to 6-4 overall (0-3 SLC).
The contest was delayed due to weather and doubles play canceled.
UTSA streaked to four straight singles victories to move to the top of the conference standings.
Sophomore Martin Ayala quickly disposed of Damjan Despotovski, 6-4, 6-1, at the top spot to give the Roadrunners the early lead. Freshman Yannick Junger notched a straight-sets win at the No. 2 position, taking down Dmitry Kozionov, 6-1, 7-6 (8-6). Sophomore Tyler Brown made it three in a row when he topped Shayann Vaezzadeh, 7-6 (9-7), 6-4, at the No. 3 slot. Junior Daniel Moser wrapped up the win for UTSA with a 6-2, 7-6 (6-4) victory against Razvan Cojocaru at No. 6.
The Roadrunners are back in action on Saturday, March 5, when they hit the road for a noon matchup at SMU.
UTSA 4, Nicholls 0
Did not play.
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Damjan Despotovski (NICH) 6-4, 6-1
2. Yannick Junger (UTSA) def. Dmitry Kozionov (NICH) 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Shayann Vaezzadeh (NICH) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
4. Max Stratmann (UTSA) vs. Palash Tiwari (NICH) 6-2, 6-7, 2-2, unfinished
5. Daniel Moreiras (UTSA) vs. Matshidiso Malope (NICH) 6-7, 6-4, 3-1, unfinished
6. Daniel Moser (UTSA) def. Razvan Cojocaru (NICH) 6-2, 7-6 (6-4)