UTSA gets back on winning track with 4-3 victory at Rice on Thursday
HOUSTON — Diogo Casa's three-set win in the decisive singles match helped lift UTSA to a 4-3 victory at Rice on Thursday afternoon in a match that started at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium and was moved indoors to The Downtown Club at The Met due to rain.
With the match tied at three, Casa and the Owls' David Warren battled to a third set at No. 4 singles. Casa dropped a 7-5 decision in the opening set but rallied for a 6-3 win to force a third. UTSA's sophomore from Brazil and Warren were deadlocked at four before Casa claimed the final two points to clinch the win and help the Roadrunners (9-14) snap a three-match losing streak.
UTSA captured the doubles point to take an early lead.
Fabian Brand and Casa made quick work of Gustavo Gonzalez and Warren on the third court with an 8-2 victory. The Owls (7-11) answered with an 8-4 upset by Max Andrews and Adam Gustafsson against UTSA's No. 29-ranked tandem of Joel Rubio and Tomas Stillman at the top position. However, Yannick Junger and Boburjon Kamiljanov held off Srikar Alla and Leif Berger, 8-7, at No. 2 to clinch the point.
In singles competition, which was interrupted by rain and forced to move indoors at The Downtown Club at The Met, the Owls posted sweeps at Nos. 5 and 6 to move out in front of the Roadrunners, 2-1.
UTSA responded with a pair of victories in the next two contests that were completed.
Stillman outlasted Gustafsson, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2, at No. 2 to run his record to a team-best 19-2 on the year. Rubio also went three sets in a 7-5, 1-6, 6-4 decision against Andrews to improve to 14-9 overall and put the visitors back in front, 3-2.
Rice knotted the match at three when Alla rallied past Junger, 4-6, 7-6, 6-3, at No. 1 to set the stage for Casa's decisive win at No. 4.
The Roadrunners will return to action on Friday, April 11, when they travel to Hattiesburg, Miss., to face Southern Mississippi (9-9).
UTSA 4, Rice 3
1. Andrews/Gustafsson (RICE) def. #29 Rubio/Stillman (UTSA) 8-4
2. Junger/Boburjon (UTSA) def. Alla/Berger (RICE) 8-7
3. Brand/Casa (UTSA) def. Gonzalez/Warren (RICE) 8-2
1. Srikar Alla (RICE) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
2. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. Adam Gustafsson (RICE) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Max Andrews (RICE) 7-5, 1-6, 6-4
4. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. David Warren (RICE) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
5. Gustavo Gonzalez (RICE) def. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Henrik Munch (RICE) def. Matt Mussenden (UTSA) 6-0, 6-3