Incarnate Word edges UTSA on Saturday, 4-3
SAN ANTONIO — Incarnate Word pulled off an upset in doubles play en route to a 4-3 victory at UTSA on Saturday at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Cardinals (8-3) grabbed the doubles point thanks in part to Leonard Ivic and Josip Smoljan's upset of the Roadrunners' (6-10) No. 33-ranked doubles duo of Joel Rubio and Tomas Stillman, 8-6 at the top spot. Jair Assuncao and Tucker Brown outlasted Yannick Junger and Boburjon Kamiljanov, 8-7 (7-5), at No. 2 to counter an 8-4 win by UTSA's Fabian Brand and Diogo Casa on the third court.
UTSA quickly knotted the score in singles after Matt Mussenden swept Antonio Cavazos, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 6. However, the Cardinals responded with a 6-1, 6-2 victory by Assuncao over Junger at the top position.
Following a one-hour rain delay, Stillman dispatched Ivic, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 2 to run his record to 13-1 on the year and tie the match at 2-2.
UIW took a 3-2 advantage after Smoljan rallied to down Rubio, 2-6, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3, and the visitors clinched the match when Tucker Brown beat Casa in three sets, 6-0, 6-7, 6-2, at the fourth spot.
Kolby Kilgo scored a 7-5, 5-5 retired win at No. 5 to provide the final 4-3 score.
The Roadrunners will remain home to host No. 69 Wichita State (10-6) at 3 p.m. on Friday, March 21.
Incarnate Word 4, UTSA 3
1. Ivic/Smoljan (UIW) def. #33 Rubio/Stillman (UTSA) 8-6
2. Assuncao/Brown (UIW) def. Junger/Kamiljanov (UTSA) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Brand/Casa (UTSA) def. Davis/Cavazos (UIW) 8-4
1. Jair Assuncao (UIW) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. Leonard Ivic (UIW) 6-3, 6-4
3. Josip Smoljan (UIW) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Tucker Brown (UIW) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 6-0, 6-7, 6-2
5. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) def. Brandon Davis (UIW) 7-5, 5-5, retired
6. Matt Mussenden (UTSA) def. Antonio Cavazos (UIW) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,1,2,3,4,5)